In this world that is fast becoming an on-line community of people, you must have heard about the term E-commerce. You may have an idea about it and it may have piqued your curiosity. But what exactly is Electronic Commerce? Why has it generated so much interest in the past years? How does it affect your life and mine? What is its impact in today's society? More importantly, how can you take advantage of it?
This is an introductory course to the world of electronic commerce, more often shortened to e-commerce. Here you will be offered a glimpse of how it is to conduct business using the internet. You will know about the different types of businesses that exist in the electronic world. You will learn about the many concepts that influence how one should go about if he wants to take part in the exciting world of e-commerce. You will read about marketing strategies that you can take to get a good headstart against your competitors.
The goal of this course is to provide the participant with a basic knowledge of electronic commerce. If the participant is so inclined, he may be able to bring a business venture online.
At the end of the course, the participant is seen to have a clear grasp of how to do business using the internet to reach his potential clients. Specifically, the participant should be able to:
- Discuss in full the elements that make up electronic commerce;
- Know how to scan his environment and identify opportunities for an e-commerce business;
- Design a marketing strategy suited to his online venture;
- Have a working knowledge on how to create a proper working website for a business.
Course Delivery and Materials
This course is offered through distance education by the UP Open University. This gives you the benefit of having the choice of when, where and how you will go about studying for the course. You will be given course materials that include the modules you will read and the activities you will undertake. There will be references to websites you can access to gain further information on specific topics. It is therefore important that you should have access to the internet. You will be guided by a course coordinator and you will have the chance to interact with your fellow participants through an online classroom.
I. Electronic Commerce defined
- Definition and History of E-Commerce
- Common Terms
- Why go online
- Levels of Adoption
- How E-Commerce works
- Online payments
- Payment Gateways
- Security Concerns
- E-trading rules
II. Starting your own business
- Forms of Businesses
- Registering a Business
- Business models
- Mission/Vision Statement
III. E-Commerce Business Plan
- Suitability of a Business to go online
- SWOT Analysis
- TOWS Matrix
- Marketing Mix
- Making a business plan
IV. Going online
- Domain Name
- Web Authoring programs
- Essentials of a website
- Integrating an E-commerce Facility
- Choosing a web host server and plan
- Web management team
- Search engine optimization
V. Economic and Societal Impact
- Current State in the Philippines
- Philippine E-Commerce Law
- Future of E-Commerce
- The participant should be competent in using a computer. This would involve proficiency in creating documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
- The participant should have access to the Internet. He should also have a valid and working email address for communication purposes. In case he has multiple email accounts, he should indicate which email account he will use to communicate with the course coordinator.
- At some point in the course, the participant may be asked to purchase an item online. For this activity, he should have a credit card to make an online payment. In case he does not have one, inform the course coordinator for an alternative activity.
Interested participants may register online using the Online Sign-up form, or visit the Faculty of Management and Development Studies, UPOU HQ, Los Baños, Laguna. Details of course offering will be emailed a month before the start of class. (This includes the admission form with the assessment of fees and payment procedures.)
Schedule of Course Offerings
For inquiries, please email FMDS @
or call us at (049) 536-6010.