N219.4 – Intensive Practicum in Nursing Administration
Prerequisite: N240, N241, N242, N204, N207, N298, N299, 2 Electives
Intensive experience in nursing administration — involves the application of models, interventions, theories, and concepts in nursing administration. This course focuses on three areas of application:
- Nursing Administration practice (80 hours done continuously over two weeks);
- Nursing research (at least 62 hours)
- Nursing education (50 hours)
At the end of the course, you will be able to act:
As a Nurse Administrator:
- Analyze the organizational set-up of the nursing service in terms of:
- Philosophy, vision, mission, goals and objectives
- Service, education, and research programs
- Policies and procedures
- Recruitment and selection of staff
- Staff development
- Performance appraisal system
- Quality assurance
- Formulate a strategic plan for a selected unit in the nursing service.
- Describe the role of the Director for Nursing/ Chief Nurse and middle level nurse managers in the budgeting process.
As a Teacher/Educator:
- Demonstrate the following roles:
- Seminar coordinator
– Assess the clients’ needs, focusing on administration related crisis.
– Develop an instructional/ seminar plan
– Implement the instructional activities/ conduct the seminar
– Evaluate the seminar
– Document the teaching activities
As a Researcher:
- Prepare a research proposal on an area of interest related to nursing administration.
- Present proposal
- Implement research proposal/ pilot study
- Present the results of the study Requirements.
Practicum Duty Hours: 80 hours