ASEAN 291 – Framework for ASEANOLOGY Research
Course Title: Framework for ASEANOLOGY Research
Prerequisites: Students enrolling in the course are expected to have already completed statistics but they do not need to have prior experience in conducting social research.
Number of Units: 3
Course Description: Concepts and techniques of major research methods applicable for ASEANOLOGY research.
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
1. Demonstrate understanding of major research methods and their ability to make use of both quantitative and qualitative research designs;
2. Identify the appropriate designs for different kinds of research questions;
3. Apply understanding of research methods in relation to contemporary issues in the Social Sciences, especially issues in study of ASEAN studies;
4. Critically assess the utility and appropriateness of diverse methods and techniques for the study of relevant social issues; and
5. Develop research proposal.
Unit I: ASEANOLOGY Research
Module 1: What is ASEANOLOGY Research?
Module 2: Knowledge Creation and Dissemination in ASEANOLOGY Research
Unit II: Major Research Methodologies for the Study of ASEAN
Module 3: The Quantitative Research Methodology
Module 4: The Qualitative Research Methodology
Unit Ill: Emerging Research Methodologies for the Study of ASEAN
Module 5: Policy Research
Module 6: Meta State Study